Serious car accidents can be caused by poor vehicle maintenance. This includes tire problems, brake failure, and other potential hazards that can lead to dangers on the road. Proper vehicle maintenance is vital to your safety and the safety of those around you. Our Miami car accident lawyers have provided the following list of tips that can help to ensure your vehicle is in tip top shape before you set off on a Florida roadway.
- Keep your tires in shape: Tire issues are one of the top causes of car accidents and are involved in over 10,000 serious accidents annually. To keep your tires in good working order, first check your air pressure. Underinflated tires can lead to hydroplaning and loss of control of the vehicle. Use a pressure gauge test to check your tire’s pressure at least once a month and be sure the pressure matches the recommendation of your vehicle manufacturer. Have the dealership or a mechanic rotate your tires every 6,000 to 8,000 miles and have them check the alignment as well, as this can lead to uneven tread wear.
- Change the oil and check your fluid levels: Check your oil each month and change it as directed by your owner’s manual. You should additionally check your automatic transmission, power steering, wiper, and brake fluid.
- Test the lights: Test your tail lights, headlights, and turn signals while your vehicle is in park to make sure each is in working order. A broken light can not only create hazardous driving, it could result in a ticket.
- Replace windshield wipers: If your wipers are old or not working well, have them immediately replaced so that you can see clearly in the event of a downpour. This is a quick and inexpensive fix.
- Bring your vehicle in for regular checkups: There are many car maintenance tasks that should be down every few months or yearly by a mechanic. This includes flushing the cooling system, replacing brake, valves, hoses, and inspecting the exhaust.
- Check your air filter: Pull out your air filter, if you know how to locate it, and hold it to a strong light. If you cannot see the light through it, it should be replaced. A clean air filter will improve your vehicle’s performance.
- Check core components: Those without vehicle knowledge should enlist a mechanic for this step. Have the engine, radiator, battery cables, and the like inspected to ensure everything is in safe working order as the failure of any of these parts can lead to serious accidents.