The Broward County Sheriff’s Office reports that a driver is dead after losing control of his vehicle and running into a tree on Friday, July 31. The accident occurred at about 8:22 p.m. in Deerfield Beach. Investigators believe the driver was traveling at a high rate of speed when his vehicle suddenly jumped the curb and hit a tree. Witnesses report that the engine of the car caught fire shortly after the crash. They pulled the driver out of the fiery vehicle before it became surrounded by flames. Broward Sheriff Fire and Rescue appeared rapidly at the scene and attempted to save the man’s life, but he was sadly declared dead at the scene of the accident.
A Look at Single Vehicle Accidents
Miami car accident lawyers know how single vehicle accidents cause thousands of deaths per year. These accidents are varied and can result from a number of different scenarios, but some common circumstances seem to cause the vast majority of single vehicle accidents annually. These factors include:
- Distracted driving: Texting, talking on the phone, answering emails, web browsing, grooming, eating and drinking, and other like activities can create dangerous distraction. Drivers who become distracted can run off the road and collided with large objects, such as trees or telephone poles.
- Speed: Excessive speed is one of the number one causes of single vehicle accidents. Speed often causes drivers to lose control of their vehicles and run off the road when they are navigating a bend in the road, reach a slippery portion, or encounter other obstacles. To prevent single vehicle accidents, slow down and stay within the speed limit at all times.
- Impaired driving: Alcohol is another major contributor to single vehicle crashes. Drivers under the influence of drugs or alcohol will not react properly to situations and suffer from impaired perception. These drivers can exit the roadways suddenly due to their diminished mental state.
- Mechanical defects: Cars that are defective can cause serious single vehicle accidents. Defective brakes, tires, and steering are all common causes of accidents.
- Road conditions: Roads that are poorly maintained or lack adequate warning signs can cause single vehicle accidents. All cities and municipalities should ensure roadways are safe for travelers in order to prevent serious accidents.
- Debris or obstacles in the road: Accidents can occur when drivers hit debris in the roadway or other obstacles, such as fallen branches. These objects can send vehicles careening off the roadway and into trees, medians, or telephone poles.
- Tired driving: Falling asleep behind the wheel can rapidly cause an accident. Tired drivers are unlikely to react to dangerous obstacles and may not swerve in time to avoid accidents. Sleeping drivers are apt to cross over the median or jump curbs.
Greenberg Stone and Urbano: Experienced South Florida Attorneys
Single vehicle accidents can be attributed to the fault of the vehicle manufacturer or owner of a defective roadway. If you or a family member has been injured in a single vehicle crash, the Miami Personal Injury Attorneys at Greenberg Stone and Urbano are here to help. For over 130 collective years, we have assisted accident victims in bringing personal injury as well as wrongful death claims across South Florida. Our dedication to providing superior legal services and client centered approach has earned us an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell and recognition as one of South Florida’s top firms by the Miami Herald. Allow our exceptional attorneys to provide you with excellence of legal services. Call us at (888) 499-9700 or (305) 595-2400 or visit our website to schedule your initial consultation.