Recently, carbon monoxide poisoning killed a father and injured five others in an incident occurring at the Belle Isle Townhomes in Wilton Manors. Detectives investigating the accident report that the father, a 43 year old, died attempting to save his family. The family was returning from a trip and began unloading the vehicle in their garage. They accidently left the car running for several hours. The father evidently realized something was wrong and opened the garage door, collapsing near the door. The man’s wife and daughter were unresponsive but alive when transported to Broward Health Medical Center. A 29 and 30 year old in the apartment next door were found unconscious and treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
Two dogs died in the incident and one cat. Neighbors were the first to uncover the carbon monoxide accident when they noticed the garage door left open and saw the body of the fallen father. Police report that had the family had carbon monoxide detectors, the death and injuries could have been avoided.
A review of the news shows that in the last week alone, at least 15 people have been killed across the country by carbon monoxide poisoning. These statistics demonstrate the immense dangers posed by carbon monoxide.
Odorless and Colorless
Carbon monoxide is known as a silent killer because it lacks an odor or color. This gas is the leading cause of poisoning deaths and injuries in the United States. Carbon monoxide leaks are often the result of negligence on the part of an individual or entity, including:
- Landlords or property owners
- Repair companies and maintenance companies
- Appliance manufacturers
Symptoms of CO Poisoning
Inhaling carbon monoxide can lead to serious injury or death because this gas interferes with the body’s ability to supply oxygen to the brain and other organs. CO is more dangerous than many other forms of toxic gas because it cannot be detected by the human eye or nose. About 40,000 people die due to carbon monoxide poisoning each year.
Symptoms of CO poisoning can include:
- Light headedness
- Flu like symptoms
These symptoms are often attributed to other, more common ailments. As such, carbon monoxide poisoning victims may be exposed to prolonged gas, leading to serious and potentially life threatening injuries.
Carbon monoxide leaks can be the result of several issues, including clogged chimneys, exhaust vents, unvented heaters, or faulty appliances. If an individual or entity lead to the CO gas leak, they may be held responsible for the injuries and damages sustained by carbon monoxide poisoning victims or their families. A licensed personal injury attorney can review the accident to uncover whether negligence was a factor in the carbon monoxide poisoning.
Greenberg Stone and Urbano: Talented Miami Personal Injury Attorneys
If you have been injured in a carbon monoxide accident or any other sort of accident involving negligence, the Miami Personal Injury Attorneys at Greenberg Stone and Urbano will aggressively fight to see that you obtain the full compensation you deserve. For over 130 collective years, our firm has assisted accident victims in personal injury and wrongful death actions across South Florida. We seek to obtain compensation for all of your damages, including medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more. Our dedication to legal excellence has earned us an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell and recognition as one of South Florida’s top firms by the Miami Herald. Call us at (888) 499-9700 or (305) 595-2400 or visit our website to schedule your initial consultation.