Parking lots are spread across the United States, and especially concentrated in bustling South Florida. Parking lots can be found near shopping centers, businesses, schools, beaches, hotels, apartment complexes, and many more high traffic areas. An astonishing one out of every five motor vehicle accidents takes place in a parking lot. Recent studies show that the number of pedestrians injured in parking lots is on the rise. In fact, about 20 percent of all pedestrian accidents now happen in the parking lots of malls, shopping centers, supermarkets, and big box stores.
Many pedestrians killed in parking lot accidents in Miami are children between the ages of five and nine. More than 22 percent of all fatal child traffic crashes were pedestrians. Most of these accidents happen when drivers fail to see children while backing up in their vehicle.
Causes of Parking Lot Accidents
There are several common causes of parking lot accidents, including:
- Drivers enter parking lots with an eye on spotting a vacant space, and often neglect to watch for other drivers or pedestrians who are on the move.
- Many drivers will pull head in to a parking spot, which requires they back out upon leaving. Blind zones are created by other vehicles and the parking lot structure that may obstruct the driver’s view and allow pedestrians to be hit while attempting to navigate the parking lot.
- Traffic laws are not enforceable inside parking lots, leading to reckless driving and confusion.
- Parking lots are often congested, which leads to increased pedestrian accidents.
Dangerous Parts of a Parking Lot
There are several areas within parking lots that pose excess danger, including:
- Places with low or dim lighting that can result in pedestrian accidents, as well as criminal activity and slip and falls.
- Parts of the parking lot where snow or ice accumulates, causing cars to slid into pedestrians or pedestrians to fall.
- The exit of a parking lot, as vehicles may pull out quickly without checking for pedestrians or approaching cars.
Tips for Staying Safe in Parking Lots
Observing the following safety tips can help to keep drivers and pedestrians alike safe in parking lots:
- Watch closely for pedestrians when backing out
- Watch closely for cars backing out if you are a pedestrian
- Turn on your headlights to maximize visibility
- Stay within recognized foot paths when walking
- Do not text while walk and use marked crosswalks
- Park in well lit areas
- Comply with all posted signs
If you are injured in a pedestrian accident in a parking lot, the driver and owner of the parking lot could be liable for your damages stemming from the accident. Contact a licensed attorney to explore your recovery options.
Greenberg, Stone, & Urbano, P.A.: Aggressive Representation for Pedestrian Accident Victims
Pedestrian accidents can have devastating consequences. No one travels to a shopping center expecting to be hit by a car, yet these sorts of accidents happen every day. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident, the Miami Personal Injury Attorneys at Greenberg, Stone & Urbano, P.A. are here to help. For over 130 collective years, our firm has handled a wide variety of personal injury claims across South Florida. Our dedication and talent has earned us an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell and recognition as one of South Florida’s top firms by the Miami Herald. Allow our experienced attorneys to mount your successful personal injury case. Call us at (888) 499-9700 or (305) 595-2400 or visit our website to schedule your initial consultation.